This is my fourth 24 hour Read-In with Urban Librarians Unite (ULU). Why do we stay up all night with fellow librarians and library lovers? To protest budget cuts that threaten New York’s libraries and librarians. I usually try to swing the full 24 hour shift (I’ve had varying levels of success with being able to stay up), but this year, I showed up only from 3AM to 6AM. I’d like to extend my thanks to Christian Zabriskie, Vicky Zabriskie, Lauren Comito, and all the other ULU-ers who continue to show their dedication to saving NYC libraries from closures and layoffs.
Like I said, I only managed three hours of the Read-In this year, so I applaud Christian, Vicky, Lauren, and all the other advocates who dedicated their time to the cause.
Want to help NYC libraries? We’re aiming for no library closures and no jobs lost. We need you to speak up for New Yorkers:
- Sign NYPL’s petition. You don’t have to be from NY state to sign.
- Sign Brooklyn Library’s petition. You must be from NYC to sign.
- Sign Queens Library’s petition. If you’re not from NY, click “other” for borough.
- Sign up for ULU’s newsletter.
- “Like” ULU on Facebook.
- Follow ULU on Twitter.
- Volunteer for ULU!
- Donate to ULU!
- Buy a T-shirt, mug, or water bottle!
- Get your friends and family to do all of the above.
Times are tough for New Yorkers, but they’ll get worse without our libraries.
~Love and Libraries, Ingrid